If you’re interested in studying at university or college in an English-speaking country such as the UK, US, or Australia, you’ll need to learn how to write using academic English. Academic writing can be very different from other types of English writing you may have done in the past.
Learn how to use English for study at university or college and develop your writing skills, vocabulary and grammar with the free online course “A Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study“.
Writing in English for University Study Course Content
This course is designed to help you learn the basics of academic writing and develop your English skills for university or college study in a country where English is used. The course uses a mix of video, on-screen examples, discussions, and quizzes, and includes the following topics:
- An introduction to academic writing, enabling you to gain an awareness and understanding of some key features of this kind of writing;
- Key areas of ‘academic’ grammar;
- The stages in essay writing;
- How to organize an essay;
- Your first essay: language focus
- Your first essay: focus on the writing stages
- Your first essay: feedback and redrafting
- This course is aimed at non-English speakers who have studied some English. You should have a minimum level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent.
Summary of Main Course Features
- Educator: Steve Thomas
- Publisher: University of Reading
- Duration: 5 weeks x 3 hours per week
- Starts: 9 May 2016
- Certificates available