Note: This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you click on them.
Recently I experimented with using Grammarly® whilst preparing an article for a journal. I was skeptical about using it because I’m a native speaker of English, and I always thought that my grammar was okay. But boy, was I wrong. This software picked up mistakes in my grammar that I have made all my life – and now I’m embarrassed.
Whether you’re writing an essay, a cover letter, a blog post, comments on blogs, or even just emails to your friends, you’re judged by the quality of your words. Grammar and punctuation errors undermine your credibility. Grammarly can help you avoid these pitfalls and ensure that your writing is correct. And the best part is that it is FREE on Chrome, Safari, and Firefox!
How Does Grammarly Work?
Grammarly’s cloudbased applications check for common grammatical errors, correct contextual spelling mistakes, enhance vocabulary usage, and provide citation suggestions as you type. You simply start typing while using any of Grammarly’s products to see a variety of suggestions in realtime, which don’t obstruct your view or distract you while you type. Corrections can be applied with the click of a mouse.
Grammarly also helps writers by providing grammar rule explanations, contextual and structural suggestions, and vocabulary enhancement tips. It enables users to write, learn and make corrections with ease.
What do I get for Free?
You’ll get Grammarly’s automated proofreader in three different formats: the online Grammarly Editor, the Grammarly browser extension, and Grammarly for your Mac or PC desktop. All of them will check your writing for spelling mistakes (including contextual errors) and 150 types of grammatical mistakes. Grammarly will also help you identify wordiness, vocabulary mistakes, and give you comprehensive explanations of grammar rules and tips for how to avoid similar mistakes in the future.
You can compose your writing directly in the Grammarly Editor. Or, you can upload written content you’ve written elsewhere (e.g., WordPress or a word processor) when you are ready to begin the editing process. It’s easy to use. Try it now by clicking here!
If you’re a professional writer or intending to make writing a major part of your work, you will probably want to upgrade to the Premium version of Grammarly.
What do I get with the Premium version?
If you upgrade to Premium, in addition to the features described for the Free version, you will also get:
- Grammarly for Microsoft® Office – provides a more robust spelling and grammar checker than the built-in spelling checker for Office.
- Document Type Customization – Grammarly’s Editor can be adjusted for business, fiction, academic, and over 20 other styles of writing. You can be confident that you’re writing correctly for your chosen format.
- Vocabulary Improvement – Grammarly helps you write with clarity and expand your lexicon by suggesting context optimized alternatives and synonyms for your overused and repetitive words.
- Plagiarism Detection – Being caught plagiarizing can permanently damage your reputation. Grammarly’s powerful cloudbased engine scans over 8 billion web pages to crosscheck a document for unintentional plagiarism. This popular feature also reinforces proper citation habits.
- Mistake Types Corrected 250+ (instead of 150 for Free version)
Current Premium Pricing
- Monthly $29.95*
- Quarterly $59.95*
- Annual $139.95*
* all plans include a seven day moneyback guarantee
Whether you’re a student, business professional, author, blogger, journalist, social media specialist, or someone who insists on using good grammar online, you can trust Grammarly to make sure your writing’s right!