The course “How to Succeed at Writing Applications” has been designed and developed by experts from The Careers Service at The University of Sheffield to help you to write successful applications, whether you are applying for jobs or planning to study at university or college.
It will be of particular interest to those in the early stages of their career, or those who are out of practice and need to update their skills.
No prior knowledge or expertise are needed.
How to Succeed at Writing Applications – Course Content
The course is highly participative and includes articles for you to read, videos to watch and interactive material to help you master the art of application and CV writing. There will also be discussions where you can learn from and support each other, self-reflective exercises and quizzes. Throughout the course, you’ll be encouraged to collect a portfolio of your work which will help you with future applications.
The course includes:
- Understanding the skills you have gained through work experience and your studies;
- How you can match these skills to job advertisements or course requirements;
- Top tips with you to help you write exceptional applications, CVs (or résumés), covering letters and personal statements;
- Insights from employers and admissions tutors on what they look for in candidates;
- Examining your digital footprint and developing a professional profile online.
By the end of the three weeks, you should have the confidence to apply for your dream job or course.
Summary of Main Course Features
Educators: Pamela Hafekost, Hilary Jones, Alison Clay, Marcus Zientek and Steve McCarthy
Publisher: The University of Sheffield
Duration: 3 weeks x 3 hours per week
Starts: February 8, 2016